Friday, October 20, 2006

Gesso Is My Friend

Remember I told you yesterday about those two collages for "Ripped and Torn" that were off to a slow start? Well, by the end of the day, here's what they look like. Yup... that's right... gessoed right over them. If you look closely, you'll see the culprit right behind the canvas. I added a touch of yellow paint and scraped around a bit with a plastic card so that a tad of the original paint/collage work still shows through. Makes me feel like it wasn't all for naught. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

In an effort to always write honestly, I have to report that I got rejected from the "Fiberarts" show in Sebastapol yesterday. I had submitted photos of one of my "With Love" fabric collages for their consideration. But in that same vein of honesty, I will tell you that it truly is getting easier and easier. My friend MaryBeth laughed with me the other day on the phone when I told her "I'm emboldened by my rejection." And it's the truth. The more I get rejected, the more I feel like submitting. I've had enough experience to accept that something will get accepted somewhere along the line. For me, I find great comfort in the knowledge that I've found my place in this world. Sure, I have insecurities like all artists do, but I'm never insecure about how much I love what I'm doing. And that, I'm convinced, is the most precious gift of all - rejection or not!

Also in that same batch of mail, I received the most WONDERFUL charm bracelet from the most AMAZING group of women. This bracelet is a result of a swap I participated in, hosted by Ruth Rae. Here's a photo of the finished bracelet, which Ruth designed and assembled herself.

She even created a blog about the entire thing, complete with instructions from every participant. The artwork is amazing! And truly, it's one of the best swaps I've had the honor of being a part of. Thank you, ladies!

I actually have a few charms left over, which I'm going to be giving away in a contest in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned for the details... especially if you didn't have a chance to participate in this swap!

Have a terrific weekend, everyone!

7 Comments:

Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

Isn't gesso great? Sorry to hear you didn't get accepted. But I'm totally loving your attitude...you go girl! Love the bracelet too!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Shari Schwarz said...

Hi Shari! I love your artwork! And I love how you stated that despite insecurities as an artist, you're not insecure about how much you love doing it. Very inspiring!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm right there with you about the gesso, baby! Best thing since sliced cheese - lol!
And you have an admirable attitude about submitting your work. I'm still working on getting to that place in my own head :0) Hugs - Deb
ps... Bentley is the cat's pajamas.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so real and so honest. It really helped to read what you wrote. :)
Hugs,
Maryann
P.S. Saw your "Day of the Dead" danglie and loved it!! Made me actually consider doing the Winter Solstice swap if I could use fabric! :)

6:51 PM  
Blogger Erika Tysse said...

didn't join this swap and now I can see that I am regretting it! Fantastic! You are a very lucky girl! Also, fantastic blog. I will be checking in to see what you are up to!

12:32 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Hi Shari,
I'm in your 12 days of christmas group and have your sweet little package here by my desk :-) I have yet to start my projects - but often I do my best work under pressure.

I totally agree with you about gesso - i use it a lot in the same way.

And I especially appreciated hearing about your reaction to rejections after you submit. For a long time i held off submitting because i didn't EVER want to face rejection. Now like you, rejections seem to fuel my resolve and make me all the more determined to create and submit.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Debbie Overton said...

Shari,
I was told a long time ago....REJECTION is the best thing for an artist....it makes you want something even more and you will really get in there getting things accomplished like there is no tomorrow.

Three Cheers for Gesso!!!

Debbie O

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home