Monday, October 16, 2006

Did I tell you...???

Didn't I tell you I was a "book-aholic"?!?! I devoured my "Where Women Create" book this weekend. (Yeah, yeah, I know... so much for waiting to savor it on my trip, right?!?!) It was simply the best! I didn't expect it to get me thinking so much, which was a nice surprise.

It seems that there are two types of creators. (And this is my own conclusion after reading the pages and drooling over the pictures.) There are those who like minimalism, neatness, and order. Those people find inspiration when their work area is completely free of anything not relating to the task at hand. And then there are the other creators who thrive off of a sort of visual chaos. They need to see and be able to interact with their treasures... often all at once. Which type are you?

I, most certainly, am the latter. From time to time, I do put things in my studio away for the sake of cleanliness. But when I'm in the midst of a project, it's like a giant explosion went off. I used to feel bad about this... like a despondent child who couldn't follow simple rules such as "put your toys away when you are finished using them." But now I realize that's not true. The chaos and disorder are an integral part of my creative process. If things are shut away in a drawer, I forget about them entirely. I enjoy the intuitive dialogue that happens when my eyes feast on my treasures and a composition is built before I've even picked up the glue or paint. It is an interaction and a discourse that evolves entirely because of the mess.

I am so thrilled to finally give myself this simple permission. And moreover, I realize that my studio is not set up to support this creative "type". I really want to work on amassing decorative glass jars and containers where my found objects and ephemera can be displayed and seen. I want it housed, but out there. Do you know what I'm trying to say? Now I just need a bigger studio...

Here's the link the book again, in case you're interested...

5 Comments:

Blogger Terri Stegmiller said...

That's what I'd do...read it all right away. Hmmm that's interested info....I think I fall somewhere in between those 2 styles.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, me too! I am a total bookaholic and create a mess whenever I make art! LOL

9:07 AM  
Blogger deb said...

I am definitely one for working in chaos (not really sure if that is a choice as much as it is due to current space limitations). Having things tucked away in a neat organized fashion seems to mean I may never see it again (guess it isn't THAT organized). Granted, when I come across something that I forgot I had, it can be a treat...but the frustration of not being able to locate something when I need it is another thing.

I don't have a studio...yet! I have been encouraging Wes (our son) to move to the basement so I can convert his room. I think if I started to set up a studio in the basement, I may be able to encourage him to swap space, as he spends the bulk of his time down there anyway...we'll see.

So for now, it is the family room and dining room (with the bulk of my materials stored in our guest bedroom). Thank goodness for my every supportive hubby!!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Debbie Overton said...

Shari, Is that not a wonderful book? I am somewhat caught between the two...I love my things in my jars, glasses, boxes and baskets...but when working I have everything scattered everywhere. When I finish a piece everything goes back where it belongs waiting on me to play again. Debbie O

4:53 PM  
Blogger Lori Z. said...

Shari, as usual you have great insight and see a little deeper into things than I seem to. I just picked up little ideas from the book, like keeping all my buttons in glass jars, which is absolutely delicious, and went with them, never thinking about what my creative style is or why I needed to set up my studio in a certain way.

I think I'm more of the first kind. Clutter and disorganization can paralyze me. But I also need to be able to see and enjoy some of my "treasures" so I'll be inspired to create with them. And I've found that color is critical. A start white room would make me feel like I was in an asylum!

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home