Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Praising Organization

I came up with this fantastic solution yesterday to a problem I've been struggling with... ("Fantastic," if I do say so myself!)

As you know, I've been taking slides of much of my finished artwork. Those are for art show and/or gallery submissions. I've been taking digital pictures of everything. The plan was to create a blank form on the computer whereby I could later fill in all the specs. for a given piece (inventory #, title, size, medium, etc.). Then I would tape the photo to the bottom of the form, insert the paper into a plastic sleeve, and have a record of everything in a 3-ring binder.

Well, yesterday I was at Target and came across these awesome leather photo albums for only $12.99. Each one houses 200 pictures. But the best part is that there is a little 2" paper border next to each photo which says "Notes" followed by about 6 lines for writing. How perfect is this!?!? My new-and-improved plan is to place each picture in it's sleeve and then include the inventory #, the title and the price next to each photo. Everything else (meaning all the other info.) I already have on an excel spreadsheet anyway; I can cross-reference it when needed. If something has sold, I think I will place a red circle sticker next to that entry. This way, I can bring my entire inventory with me wherever I go in a very portable, professional presentation. People who may be interested in commission work can look at what I've done previously and may no longer have in my possession. And I can bring my entire body of work to people who may be interested but unable to attend a show.

Isn't this fab?!?! I thought so... (It's the little things, I'm telling ya'...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I keep thinking I should do up a portfolio of some sort. Your idea is a good one! :)

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home