Thursday, July 06, 2006

Kristin Steiner's class at Fiberfest

These are some photos of the fabric triptych I made in Kristin Steiner's class at Fiberfest. The book is entitled "Becoming". It's very personal to me as it is meant to capture my evolution as an artist. I wish the beadwork and hand-sewing came through better in the photographs, but you get the general idea.

If you ever get the opportunity to take a class from Kristin, do! She is just one of the most amazing people I have ever met in my entire life. Her energy and spirit are unparalleled. She has a way of making you feel so special and so safe - just within the first 5 minutes of meeting her! And her work is out-of-this-world! It just speaks of days and wishes gone by.

Kristin is teaching a 3-day workshop with her partner in North Carolina. The project is called "Believe in Yourself". (Scroll down Kristin's workshop page, and you'll find it.) This fabric box is actually three separate boxes nested within one another. Each box unfolds to lay flat like a cross. It's just ingenious in it's construction, really. I've seen this box first-hand, and it's fabulous! If there were any way I could make it to North Carolina, I would be there with bells on. I'm afraid it's just not in the cards for me right now, however. (A girl can't do everything!)



In other news, remember those two large canvases I was working madly to finish? Well, they had to be scrapped. I had a glimmer of hope in the middle there and thought I had turned them around. But when I dripped red paint all over them in an effort to do something to save them and it turned out looking like a major ER trauma, I knew it was over. Then I spilled the same blood-red paint right next to our back door. There's a huge "splat" mark that looks like a very large bird collided with the glass. Then there are many splatters outward to further tell the story of this imaginary bird's untimely demise. Steve thinks the whole effect is really funny. I just think it's sortof morbid. In any event, our back patio is becoming a work of art in and of itself. There's paint of every color of the rainbow out there now.


As for the canvases? Well, I re-gessoed them yesterday. It took three coats to cover all of the dreadfulness. But now they're fresh and clean and ready to go again. I guess not every creation can be a masterpiece. I find comfort in that. I'm only human, right?!?!

Oh, and note to self: don't "drip" with red paint any more....

1 Comments:

Blogger edina said...

Your triptych is lovely - I'm glad I got to see the start of it in person. Great job on getting the new blog title up, too!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home