Saturday, June 17, 2006

What Dreams May Come


This is a special little box I created recently. It's entitled "What Dreams May Come". The construction is fairly complex as there are several door and drawer variations involving a glass slide, wood, chipboard, and a mint tin. I created this box as a way to honor my innermost hopes and dreams. The mint tin houses slips of paper on which I record the whispers of my heart. Whichever desire is most pressing gets rolled up and inserted in my magic bottle. I firmly believe that there is tremendous power in the simple task of writing and creating art about my dreams. It paves the way for them to become reality.

Unfortunately, this box was not accepted as a class for Artfest 2007. I received that news in yesterday's mail. But you know, I'm okay with that... strangely enough. Sure, the exposure and experience would have been terrific. But there will be other venues to submit to. I believe in this project, and I know it will find a home.

I'm discovering a surprising sense of peace and calm in just accepting what is and trusting that this is for the best. (And if you know me at all, you know this is an often-elusive attitude for me to achieve!) It's been difficult for me these past few months to find chunks of time to devote to my canvases. My focus has been scattered far and wide. Perhaps this is the Universe's way of giving me permission to let the extraneous stuff fall away and really zero in on what's most important. Perhaps it is my answer to what dreams may come...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Wow Shari very cool box! The way you've portioned it off is really neat...and unique! Your use of color inspires me a lot. If I still had the Asylum open I'd have you teach it (selfish thinking LOL)....I do believe you have that something special that will take you a long way in your just budding artist career. Good Luck!

8:00 AM  
Blogger edina said...

I'm sorry that your class was not accepted this time around. I agree that your wonderful project will eventually find a home! :)

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shari. I love this box and the idea behind it. Let me know if you teach a class somewhere. I'm on ArtgangLA, so I'll hear. I was in your first bookbinding class. I finally found my artistic outlet in postcards! Small enough not to be scary, but I still take about 8 hours to make a card!

I've been caught up in moving the past couple months so my blog is sadly behind. That's my goal for this week. Susan

6:53 PM  
Blogger MB Shaw said...

There are other dreams in store for you!!!
It's a beautiful box by the way.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great box. Wonderful colors. Sorry that it didn't get chosen for the next artfest. I hope that you do present it to other venues.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

How wonderful and beautiful! What an awesome class that would be! What were they thinking?!!! :)

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home