Thursday, June 15, 2006

Retreating

I read this article recently in my Art Calendar magazine entitled "A Paradise for Artists". The article talks about this art colony spread over 17 acres of Costa Rica's central valley jungle. They accept 7 artists at a time, generally for stays of 1 month in length. They refer to the experience as a "residency" or a "colony". I call it a retreat. To me, it's a withdrawal from virtually everyone and everything in order to focus your entire being on the song in your heart.

Can you imagine anything better? I picture awaking early each morning to the caw of some tropical bird or other. The heat and humidity from the jungle would already be pressing in on me. But I wouldn't mind, as this would be the biggest concern I'd face. I would work madly in my studio all day... forgetting to eat... stopping only in a crumpled heap of exhaustion when the light began to fade. Nature and all her beauty would drive me to paint my best and most passionate work. For that brief moment in time and space, I would be one with my art.

Okay... maybe this is a bit of a fantasy, but so what? That's my ideal retreat anyway. If you're interested in learning more about The Julia and David White Art Colony, you can visit their website: www.forjuliaanddavid.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home