Friday, June 16, 2006

Random Thoughts (possibly from a random mind?)

First and most importantly, Maynard is doing well!! The vet and her nurse took turns caring for him at home. Then earlier this week, he was strong enough to be moved to a Wildlife Rescue. He is now in an enclosed area with other birds, learning how to fly. Once he's good to go, he'll be released into the wild. The vet's assistant told me the chances for his survival are excellent. Isn't that just the BEST news!?!? Yea for Maynard!

Secondly, I've received a lot of questions about the Trimline tent. I'll try to address some of them here. Mostly, people are interested in knowing why I chose to purchase this setup as opposed to anything else. Okay, here goes...

Many, many artists (at least in the shows we've cased) have chosen to go with those carpeted panels. I agree they look tremendously professional. But I was concerned about inclimate weather. And I was also turned off by their weight and their size. Steve and I simply don't have anywhere to store them in our home. Also, on the day of the show, I would have room to bring my carpeted panels in our SUV, but no art!

I did consider the EZ-Up tent and other models. For starters, the EZ-UP has this huge metal framework on the underside, which didn't appeal to me. Not to mention, rain and wind could still whip through since there is no closure between the tent and your walls.

Trimline seemed to suit all of our needs in that the walls of the tent zip closed with the top. The Mesh Panel system gives you the ability to hang your art without being heavy or bulky. In the research I have done, I am getting much more for my money - the complete, high-quality setup with a lower shipping cost - than I would have spent buying all the components individually.

It is my understanding that most art shows have equipment for rent. That would certainly solve the storage and schlepping issue. But I feel that this is an investment for me, and I may as well put my $$ toward owning my setup rather than giving it away by renting. It is my hope that in time, the setup will pay for itself. Moreover, I won't have to struggle on the day of the show as I will be able to practice and get familiar with my tent and display at home.

That being said, this is only ONE approach. It is what works for me. And I don't even have the tent yet. I will post more when I receive it. If anyone does talk to the Trimline people though, tell them I sent you! (www.flourish.com)

Lastly, I got some terrific work done yesterday in the studio and hope today will be just as productive. Don't you just love it when things are "gellin'" and moving along smoothly?!?! I had to make my coffee extra early this morning because I needed to get some papers dyed and drying... how sad is that? My art's needs come before my own... Oh well, at least I'm dedicated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shari -- thanks for the update on Maynard!! It's so great that you saved him. See you at ArtFiberFest!!

11:36 AM  
Blogger ~Amber said...

Hello!

I just saw that you have a blog from the yahoo list serve. Congrats and taking the big plunge and buying the artist setup. I too- have a blog- it's http://aowoodward.blogspot.com
Take a peek if you get a chance. Until then, I will try to figure out how to add you to my blog links!

~Amber

6:36 PM  
Blogger Suzanne Reynolds said...

Hi Shari; Congrats on the blog, and best wishes on your art show season! I'm relieved to hear that Maynard is doing well.
best,
Suzanne

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home