Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We Did It!!!









Here are my completed booth photographs. When you look at the pictures, perhaps it might appear rather effortless. But let me give you some sort of an idea as to how this weekend progressed...

I woke Steve at 5:30 am on Sunday morning. I knew we needed to get going in order to beat the heat. We set up our blackout board and sorted through all the art I have created, both from this year and last. Around 7:30 am, we were ready to begin photographing. It was already 85 degrees. The problem was that the sun was still too low and was shining directly onto my art, thereby creating an unimaginable glare. So we waited...

Around 9:30 or so, the sun was high enough in the sky to begin. Now, each shot involving the slide film needed to be set up from scratch every time. This meant readjusting the tripod, the focus, and the framing. Steve did that. Then I followed up with digital pictures. After about an hour and a half, I'm certain the temperature had climbed to above 100 degrees. My shirt was literally soaked in sweat. I asked Steve how many pictures were on the roll of film. It seemed like we'd used quite a few. He said 36. I did some simple math: 3 slides per art piece times 16 pieces so far... hmmm... I questioned him. He said they often gave you extra pictures on the roll. But 20+ extra? I don't think so.

Turns out the film had never advanced! Ugh! Now, I couldn't be angry with Steve - he's wonderful enough to give up his holiday to help me on this adventure. I swallowed hard while the beads of sweat blurred my vision. We reloaded and started over. I think we finished around noon in a withered, melted heap.

Monday and Tuesday were better, however. Oh my God! I LOVE that tent!! Thank you MaryBeth!!! A million times!! The setup was relatively easy. It took us a couple of hours, but I'm sure it will get faster when we don't have to read the directions so meticulously. It's sturdy and beautiful and the mesh panel system in simply ingenious! This was by far one of the best investments I've ever made. I'm so, so happy. In fact, I love my tent so much I was tempted to sleep in it that night. Steve thought the bed was a better idea, so I acquiesced.

Tuesday was spent hanging all my art and getting the booth shots. Then we also had pick-up photography on about 14 other pieces we just couldn't get to on Sunday. Let me tell you, having my art in that booth was a sobering experience. If I thought I was busy before, I realize now that "I ain't seen nothin' yet!" I've really got to pick up the pace. No more phone calls or errands or chores when I'm supposed to be working. I need to produce!

All in all, it was a spectacular weekend. Steve and I worked our butts off, for sure. We're both sorta glad to be starting our "normal" work weeks today as we both feel it will be tons easier! But I couldn't be happier, and I feel like I've crested a HUGE mountain. Rather than just being freaked out at the prospect of entering a show, I feel more comfortable with my presentation and more confident as an artist. I realize that the whole booth-thing will be an evolution, much like my art, but man, does it feel good to have rounded that first corner!

7 Comments:

Blogger edina said...

The tent and all your artwork hanging in it looks terrific - great job!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

SHari, the tent is gorgeous and with your art hanging in it-WOW! It's a great investment-I am sure people are going to be wowed by it.

It's funny how you can make some things look so effortless and yet those are the things that require the hardest work. You have done a fantastic job!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Mary Stanley said...

Your booth looks great and your art wonderful!!!Congrats on all your hard work...

12:35 AM  
Blogger Veleta (Sammy) said...

Shari... Your tent is awesome and very professional looking... really shows of your art work!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fabric-olics
http://sammystuff.blogspot.com/

12:56 PM  
Blogger Veleta (Sammy) said...

Awesome tent Shari.. really shows of your art in a very professional way!
Sammy
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Fabric-olics
http://sammystuff.blogspot.com/

12:58 PM  
Blogger Mamarox said...

Love the art and the tent, I would definatley be drawn in by the color and the compostion. I wish you all the best in your endevours.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Sweet Petunia said...

Beautiful!

Lisa...sweet petunia is my blog that is not quite ready for bloggin:)

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home