Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Building a Bridge

So often when I leave to go out of town, I race around trying to finish EVERYTHING before I give myself permission to depart. By "everything" I mean laundry, cleaning, watering plants, yard work, pool maintenance, packing, shopping, any other errand I can possibly think of, arranging pet care, making sure Steve has food options other than take-out, and completing every in-progress art project I may have going.

This time, as I believe I may have mentioned, not all of it got done. In particular, I didn't finish all of the canvases that I had started. And you know... I think I may have stumbled onto a new and improved way of working.

Yesterday was my first day back and it's often tremendously rough for me. I have all the household stuff to catch up on in addition to backed up computer work as well as my art. Usually, it's too much for me to stare at a blank canvas and be inspired to create something wonderful when I have the weight of my "to do" bearing down on me. But having something halfway finished allowed me to just pick up where I left off. No stress. No pressure. No fear. I knew right where I was and where I had intended to go. A little paint here, a little sanding there, and I'm back in the game. It wasn't hard, and it wasn't a struggle. It was actually an enjoyable first day back. Imagine that!

1 Comments:

Blogger MB Shaw said...

I always try to put some backgrounds down before I leave town so I have something to work on when I get home. Our "pre-trip" preparations sound identical as I am so frenzied before I go and work at a manic speed around the house. Like minds, huh?

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home