Friday, August 25, 2006

With One Palette

I've been aware for quite some time that artists, along the course of their artistic lives, develop a specific palette. It is as signature to them as the way they dress or the way they wear their hair. An artist's palette defines the artist in a certain way and makes it easier for an audience to identify their work.

My question is this: Can an artist have several different palettes? This question perplexes me. From what I can figure out, I work in three primary palettes. One is more dominant than the other two, but I certainly feel equally excited by all three.

My most dominant palette dwells in the land of earth tones: rich reds, ochres, and quinacridone gold...a yellow green and some deep blue and a dash of purple. The colors are moody and rich. They are, in fact, the colors of my home as well. My second palette, which I turn to primarily with fabric, deals with pastels. I enjoy the soft, aged look of worn and faded fabrics. I choose ivories, pinks, peach, pale turquoise, butter yellow. A soft brown is about as daring as I will get here. It's about a vintage look and times long past. My third palette expresses my wild side, I suppose. It is outlandish and delightfully bright - hot pink, orange, lime green, and vibrant turquoise.

Does that make me less of an artist? Am I an artist with an identity crisis or an artist with no direction? Or perhaps I have yet to find my path and my "style"? But my gut tells me this is not the case. I enjoy all three of my color personalities and feel equally comfortable expressing myself in each. Why not go forth on all three levels and conquer? I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the expression itself rather than whether it fits within a standard and expected color scheme, don't you? And it's certainly not my job to worry about whether the public can identify a piece as mine. That's what the signature is for.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are my 2 cents...I don't think you are less of an artist if you stick to one palette or medium. One thing that struck me at the Picasso Museums in Paris and Barcelona was how Picasso tried many different media and styles in his lifetime: painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, representational, abstract, cubist, etc. You can have many moods and phases in life, so several types of artistic expression from one person should not be unusual. And what a blessing to be able to create in more than one style!

8:04 AM  
Blogger deb said...

I think to limit yourself would be a true shame. Play with the colours that speak to you in the moment and do with them what you will.

10:38 AM  
Blogger deb said...

To limit yourself would be a true shame. I think you should feel free to use whatever colours inspire you at any given moment. Be free and create, for you ARE an artist and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

You know we are on the same wavelength with this! It extends to my decorating sense too... I've always said I need about 5 houses to be able to use all of the styles and moods I like!

2:47 PM  
Blogger MB Shaw said...

I have a couple palettes that I tend to prefer. A friend recently pointed out to me that I stick to one palette for bookmaking, one for painting. Interesting observation and I have no idea why that is!?!? I have been playing with some new colors lately and having fun with that. It seems no matter what color I use, they all look cohesive due to my style. I agree with Edina's comments about Picasso. I have always sooooo admired the fact he tried so many different styles, media, etc. Gives me hope!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home