Tuesday, August 22, 2006

More Fabric Collage

Here are the pictures I tried to show you yesterday. They're more components of the fabric collages I'm working on. Most of the pieces I'm adding to the collage contain "scraps" that I picked up at the flea market. I imagine they were a part of someone's clothes at some point. Now they're a part of my art! If their owners only knew... Lelainia, do you recognize your celluloid buttons from Fiberfest?

I picked up my banner yesterday, but they need to redo it. Ugh. Surprisingly, my name is spelled correctly. However they inserted 6 grommets instead of the 4 I asked for. The extra two are right in the center and really draw your eye there instead of to my name. I was really specific about placement, so thankfully they will redo it at no charge.
That's about it. Nothing too exciting to report. I'm just happily working away in my studio... making slow but sure progress. Working with fabric these past couple of weeks has been refreshing and inspiring. I think that's why I love the term "mixed media" so darned much. It's basically a license to do anything you want.

Today I'm going to combine both worlds and do some painting on the fabric. Nothing major... just some stamping and maybe some dry brushing. I'll keep you informed. Are you dying to see the entire piece yet? Maybe I'm not building as much suspense as, say, "Snakes on a Plane", but I'm doing my best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

OOO! I am so pleased. The history on those buttons is that a friend of mine picked them up at an estate sale in upstate NY. Her husband is a museum curator so she has the opportunity to go to them alot. She sent me an entire TWO jars full for my 30th b-day a few years ago and I have slowly been using them for special projects. They look great on your quilt. I ADORE buttons.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Ruth Rae said...

these are stunning! are they all fabric or is there some paper mixed in? I can't wait to see what your come up with!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home