Tuesday, August 08, 2006

To Be An Artist

I came across a quote recently that really resonated with me. It's by Anne Truitt. She says, "The most demanding part of living a lifetime as an artist is the strict discipline of forcing oneself to work steadfastly along the nerve of one's own most intimate sensitivity."

Doesn't that just get right to the heart of what it means to be an artist? Sometimes I feel that I hold a piece of myself in reserve when I create. It's almost as if I'm willing to share most of myself, but not quite all. I long to just "put it all out there" - the good, the bad, and the ugly - just as Frida Kahlo did. In my opinion, this is precisely why Frida's work is so mesmerizing and so revered. Her paintings are a direct window to her soul, with no holes barred. I admire the guts that takes.

With Anne Truitt's words, I realize that we, as artists, all face this sort of balancing act. How much can we share? I'm certain the answer is different for everyone. But I'm also just as certain that to be truly "great", we must be willing to share it all, however cloaked the message may be. No other job requires more. And while oftentimes scary, this prospect makes me feel distinctly proud and tremendously blessed to call myself an artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home