Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Psychology of Creating

What is the best kind of mental "space" to be in when you create? I mean, are there given parameters that, when followed, allow you to produce your best work?

For example: today I'm grumpy. And pissed off. We got our electric bill last night, and I will share with you that it was $609! And California is getting a 200% rate hike beginning August 1. It seems unfair and cruel. Our daily temperatures climb to 112-115 here throughout much of the summer. What will the elderly people do? Or stay-at-home mom's with little babies? What will I do?

I don't feel like working on my canvases today. I feel like all of my anger and upset will come out through my brush. I'm not in the mood. Which leads me to the question of this blog. What is a working artist to do? Should I just push through the obstacle and use the precious time I have each day to get some work done, regardless of my inner state? Or should I give myself a break? But then I feel like one of those cliche'd "temperamental" artists...

Perhaps I should just abandon my heart-filled works-in-progress and paint what's inside of me today. No one will want to buy it, certainly. But at least I can work though these feelings of anger and powerlessness. It occurs to me that Frida operated and painted from a place of tremendous pain throughout most of her life. Now, I don't begin to compare my pain at receiving the electric bill with hers, but she produced some pretty awesome and revered work while dwelling in a less-than-perfect mental space.

I guess the point of art - in any medium - is to get what is inside of you to the outside. And that can't always be happy, shiny, and perfect... for any of us. We are, after all, only human. So today I think I will go forth and work primarily with black. Maybe I'll make a gift to the electric company. They should appreciate it. Black is, after all, the absence of light.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Paint it, send it to them. Tell them it's valued at $609 and you'd like a reciept.

8:55 AM  
Blogger MB Shaw said...

This is an interesting topic. There are obviously options in dealing with grumpy moods, blocked moments, all that stuff. I think you have hit on them. Somtimes it is extremely therapeutic to make art around your anger/illness/whatever it is that is bothering you. Sometimes I just decide to clean.
Seriously. That seems to work for me too.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Veleta (Sammy) said...

I would be in total shock if I received a bill that high... guess I am lucky ours is running $125 a month... I do love the idea of painting it and sending it back... but then they wouldn't even care just so you pay it...

Hugs from AFF..
Sammy

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home