Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Procrastination

I was reading an article recently in my Art Calendar magazine by Jack White. He always has something interesting to say with regard to the ins and outs of being an artist. I found this month's topic to be particularly intriguing. He writes, "Procrastination starts with the desire to be perfect. We want to wait until we can get 'it' right, whatever 'it' is. You delay starting because you want to be sure you are perfect."

How often does this happen to us? If we are to be honest with ourselves, I would venture to guess the answer would be with surprising frequency. I know I sometimes become paralyzed when I am about to invoke a new technique or idea. The blank canvas can be a fearful thing. Of course, I don't call it "fear" or "procrastination." I simply tell myself I just have to get a, b, and c done first! When I stop and think about it, however, I realize that a, b, and c don't carry that much importance in the grand scheme of being an artist. The important, no - the essential action of being an artist means getting that brush loaded with paint onto the canvas.

It's human nature to want to do something well. As adults, we don't want to waste time with the "learning" of a craft - we just want to be good. But as Robert Burridge says, "You paint to teach yourself how to paint." And he's right. The stumbles and bumbles along the road are perhaps more important than the artwork that is executed well the first time. As Jack White so eloquently warns, "Failure is going to happen to anyone who is making an effort."

And so I try to plunge onward, every day. I try to find comfort in the fact that I am only human. This is a journey, not a destination. My path is my own, and no good will come from comparing myself to other artists. All I can do is the best that I can. But I must get in there and do something. I hope you'll join me by taking action - in whatever it is you may do. Let's promise ourselves that we won't just sit idly by and "wait" for another day...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawn D. Sokol said...

Thanks for your encouraging words! I procrastinate ALL the time. I am a graphic designer and I play that game every day. This last week I've gotten a bit better about just pressing ahead with my work. But when it comes to collage and mixed media, the traditional stuff, I am the WORST. I need to just get in there and start doing, rather than admiring those who are. I really appreciate your post!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Sweet Petunia said...

You wrote this so well...I whole heartedly agree "to just do it" and learn from doing.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Becky and Stacey said...

Wow, this is absolutely exactly what I needed to hear today! I have been going through this major fear procrastination phase. I finely thought today is the day that I'm going to really "do" something even if it's just baby steps. Then I read this in your blog. What a conformation! Thanks!
Stacey

www.collagecafe.blogspot.com

5:15 PM  
Blogger MB Shaw said...

I have subscribed to Art Calendar for years, when I was first getting started mainly to find high quality juried shows to enter. Lately I don't use it for the shows so much but I can't let go of my subscription simply because of Jack White. I just love that old coot. And I don't think he would mind me calling him a coot. I was so concerned about him when he had his recent bout of cancer. I just love his column and find so much inspiration in his writings each month.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home