Monday, August 07, 2006

"Freedom"

This is a piece I finished right before we left on vacation. It's entitled "Freedom". I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. And it looks even better in person, if I do say so myself.

The image is one that I found at a swap meet. He's a sailor from another time. The strip running through "Land of the Free" says "FREEDOM" over and over again. Below that, I've attached three pennies and some chain. (Good 'ole Abe breaking the bonds of slavery, don'tcha know?) Underneath the sailor are the words "Home of the Brave" and in the upper right-hand corner is written "September 11".

This one just sort of evolved on its own, but I couldn't be happier. It's 22" x 28", and I hope it finds a good home someday... maybe to a family who has one of its own serving overseas...

(By the way, don't get too worried about the pictures. The files I take for show submissions are with the "good" camera. Blogger won't allow me to upload such huge files. The photos you see here are with my old, "cheapie" digital camera. That's why they're not as great. Just didn't want you to think my new Canon EOS 350 wasn't all it was cracked up to be.)

My weekend was super-busy with work, but I got so much done! That always feels good. I finished up of all the canvases I have been working on and cleared my table to begin something fresh today. I also managed to complete a lot of the stacked-up computer work as well. It's nice to see the "to do" shrinking. I'm meeting with a printer about designing business cards today. I'm excited to get some with my own art on them. I tell you though, anyone who says that being a full-time artist is all about the art is full of baloney. The business end always seems to soak up more time! Such is life. I'm blessed to be able to do the art that I do get done, and I know it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I love that canvass. I have my own tribute to 9/11 hanging in my hall. It will always hang in memory of Ken Ledee, my friends son, lost in WTC2.

You did a great job with the colours and the feel-it's very old timey.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great piece Shari!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home