Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Painting Again!

Here's a photo I snapped yesterday of my painting table. I took it because I am just thrilled to be getting back into the painting groove. It occurred to me yesterday that I haven't worked on my canvases since before our trip to Sequoia for my birthday... which was in July! I guess I've just been up to my eyeballs in fabric and other projects. Not that those weren't a worthy direction for my attention, mind you, but I'm just happy to be back to what I consider my first love. The paint might not look like much now, but it's a start. And I've been glowing all day and all night. How did I get so lucky to be able to do this thing I call "art" every single day? I get choked up just thinking about it...

You may or may not know that this set-up is basically in my kitchen. Our family room and kitchen are sortof all one big room. This table sits pretty much in the middle. Steve is unbelievably supportive and NEVER complains about the mess. He even admits to admiring the paint I've managed to get all over the phone. There really was no other solution in our current digs, however. The downstairs is tile and the sink is close. The back door is only steps away, which is fabulous as no heat gun could beat the drying power of the Southern California sun.

In case you're wondering, I do have a very beautiful studio upstairs as well. But that's the problem... it's very beautiful. I use that for my more restrained art efforts. And lately I've taken over the other front bedroom as my sewing room. Steve points out that I now really have three studios. And he's right. But that's okay. It is, after all, just us and the pets... Someday I will have that gorgeous, loft-like 20' x 20' space. But until then, I'm making it work. You need to do what you can with what you have, right? I think the most important thing in being an artist is that you actually produce art. Everything else is secondary.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I have three studios too! The kitchen, diningroom (we have to eat in the living room now) and an upstairs loft that was SUPPOSE to be the studio but I just dont like the lighting and it doesnt have any water access! My sweetie doesnt complain either... bless him!

8:46 AM  
Blogger deb said...

"The paint may not look like much now..." Your canvases look incredible already!

I have to say that I am very jealous and would love to have the time you do to create art. I guess I will just have to continue to live vicariously through you until (hopefully) that day comes for me.

We have a three bedroom townhouse and I have taken over the spare bedroom (which is our guestroom) with all...no, make that most of my art supplies. Unfortunately, or fortunately, two walls have hand painted murals (one of rolling hills, the other of a stream with trees) which the previous owners had professionally done (including clouds on the ceiling with butterflies) and I don't want to cover them up, which limits my vertical storage. Add the bay window at the front and the built in cabinet on the fourth wall (linens storage) and you can imagine, not much room. It isn't that big a space to begin with. Oh, did I mention the sofa bed? So, most of my art is created in the kitchen or family room. I also have my computer set up on the dining room table, which is usually covered with my stuff.

Glad I have a wonderful hubby in my Stephen (must be something about Steves, what do you think?) who is very supportive and puts up with my creative messes.

I have been trying to convince Wes to move into the basement (where hs spends most of his time anyway) so I can set up a proper studio. He is fighting it, but I figure if he wants to stay rent free when he starts university next year (which of course he can), maybe he will change his mind. Time will tell...until that time...

(sorry for rambling)

Have a terrific day!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lori S-C said...

The canvases look great! I am jealous of all your options for working spaces....
If I didn't have the kids....hmmmm......

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home