Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Folk Tree Collection

Don't you just love the name of this gallery... "The Folk Tree Collection"? I do. Especially because it's the name of my NEW gallery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I met with the owner, Gail Mishkin, yesterday. Gail just couldn't have been any more delightful or easy to talk with. She totally put my frazzled nerves at ease. She was complimentary and easy-going and just a wonderful person to begin to get to know. I showed her some of my canvases and some of my fabric collages - both for consideration for their upcoming annual show with the theme of "Hearts and Flowers". She liked both styles of work but noted that they are very different, which I agree. She thought it would make a stronger showing for me if we were to pick one or the other. She selected one of my large canvases, "Fleeting" (pictured here) and three or four of my smaller canvases for the show. She also asked for five of my journals, in the style shown below. Gail will take three of my existing journals, and I've promised to create two more.

I am just thrilled beyond words! I wish my fabric collages could be shown as well, but Gail has told me she will keep those in mind for a possible future event. They are definitely more "spring" in feel, so I do completely understand and trust her judgement. In the meantime, I will have them for sale... probably on my website. As I promised, I will post pictures of the finished collages by the end of this week.

And as if I didn't have enough on my plate, Gail mentioned that a smaller, simpler fabric collage might do well in their Christmas show. I tried to take a nap after our meeting yesterday, but I was so excited I just laid there scheming. I finally got up and made a sketch of a new idea for this purpose. And if it doesn't work at the Folk Tree, then I think this collage would be a perfect way to open up my new Etsy shop. We'll see...

Last but certainly not least, I need to thank my friend Ruth Rae. I had visited the Folk Tree several times in the past, and I've always just adored everything about it. It's one of those stores that feels like it was made in the exact mold of your personality and everything in it is something you'd like to own. Anyway, it wasn't until Ruth suggested that I contact the owner for the "Hearts and Flowers" show that I even considered approaching a gallery. You are the best, Ruth... and any success I have on this front is attributed partly to you. Thank you.

9 Comments:

Blogger MB Shaw said...

Woo hoo!!!! This is fantastic! I didn't even realize you were going to bring your canvas works to the gallery along with the fabric. And now you will most likely show all of it, the best possible result. How cool that she is putting some of your stuff in a show right now. I bet you can't wait till the opening. Hooray!!!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shari! Thats just great!!

8:10 AM  
Blogger deb said...

Congrats, Shari! I couldn't be happier for you. So well deserved!! Hugs.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Shari...
CONGRATULATIONS! I know your pieces will be a HUGH SUCCESS!!!!

Your pieces are BEAUTIFUL!

xo
Tracie

9:25 AM  
Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Shari, that is wonderful news and I agree that keeping one style at the forefront as your "introduction" to the patrons of this studio is wise. The colour pallets you work with in paint are strongly fall in flavour and I think this will make a very bold visual statement.

COngratulations-you are the good news girl lately and that's wonderful! :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Congrats Shari!
The Folk Tree is one of my favorite locations as well...I'd love to be able to participate in one of the shows as well, but it all takes courage and time-both of which you made it a point to muster up! GOOD for you!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Glad to hear you are living out your dreams :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Sweet Petunia said...

Congratulations! I know it is hard to put yourself out there. I am often surprised that more people don't approach galleries with their work.

Lisa

2:47 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

BIG congrats on the gallery showing... your work is just fabulous and I am sure you will do very well! I love this canvas (Fleeting). Best of luck!
Deb

5:45 PM  
Blogger Ruth Rae said...

Shari ... you have such a strong work ethic! its amazing how you push your self to create and go to the next level ... congratulation's on your meeting with Gail, she is a gem and I must say not all gallery directors are as kind ... because you have to know for ever wonderful talented artist like your self that makes an appointment to show us there creative heart and soul we have been subjected to at least 300 or more that we have had to say "we are sorry what you create will not work in our store/gallery" (oh the storys I could tell!)

Keep up all your great work ... the creating is easy its what we have to do to stay sane, we have no choice over it, the hard work is the selling and marketing of your self, but you seam to enjoy these just as much as the creating and that is the key to a good selling artist :)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home