Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Fabric Collage Continued

I'm ecstatic to report that this weekend I began sewing the front of the collages to the backs! Yea for me! (For any non-fabric peeps, this means I am approaching the end!) I am so pleased with the way these are turning out.

I decided to use a product that I was introduced to at Fiberfest this year. It's made by Pellon and it's called Fusible Fleece. I really felt like the collages needed more stability than just one simple layer of Warm & Natural batting... especially since they are so heavily embellished. I ironed the fusible fleece to the backing fabric. And now I'm sewing the entire "sandwich" together. The fusible fleece has given the collage tremendous stability.

I have one more embellishment to add - a piece of driftwood. And I was worried about the weight of the driftwood pulling on the front of the fabric and causing it to sag. Now with the fusible fleece in place, I will go through all the layers for this last addition, and I expect everything will work wonderfully. And I'm excited because I would never have known about this product by Pellon if I hadn't gone to Fiberfest this year. The things we learn and absorb in classes might not always become apparent until later, but surface they do!

I'm off this morning to mail my registration for Artfest, my Day of the Dead swap, and a few other items. I'm happy to be parting with my Artfest application as I'd like to stop waffling about possible class combinations and get on with my life! (I'm sure many of you feel the same.) Now it's just in the hands of the art gods and there's nothing more I can do. The surrender of control already makes me feel lighter...

Hope you all had wonderful weekends!

2 Comments:

Blogger MB Shaw said...

Woo hoo on the Artfest apps! I am so excited we will get to meet each other.

I can't wait to see this fabric collage in its entirety. The process is so fascinating and complex. Yeesh, so much work, it makes my paintings look simple.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Hey Shari,
Have you thought about opening an Etsy shop to sell your beautiful wares?!?!
:)
Or getting an artist table at Art Unraveled next year?? :)
Hugs
Kelly

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home